What is Covered Under Family Law?
As a lawyer with more than 20 years of service, Daniele Johnson & Associates assists clients who need to make some type of legal change in their family. Below is a brief description of the family law services we offer.
Divorce is often complicated as couples must decide important issues including child custody, child support, and alimony, if applicable, and division of assets and debts. It is even more difficult when they do not agree. People sometimes do not understand that the decisions and actions they make during their divorce proceedings are legally binding and require a court order to change in the future. It is essential to secure a family law attorney early in the process for this reason.
Daniele Johnson & Associates walk our clients through the process of asset disclosure as well as counsel you on what to do if you suspect your spouse of concealing assets. We also assist with legal separation.
Child Custody and Visitation
Judges in family courts prefer for children to maintain relationships with each parent and to spend a liberal amount of time with each as well. He or she will encourage the divorcing parents to work out their own parenting plan if possible. When conflict enters the child custody decision, a judge will be the one to choose whether one parent should have primary physical custody. Family courts tend to favor joint legal custody, which means that each parent gets a say on major issues such as health care, education, and religious training. Some of the factors that judges consider in custody cases include:
- Emotional bond each parent has with the children
- Ability to provide a stable home
- Financial resources
- Emotional and general health of each parent
Georgia expects both parents of a child to contribute to his or her financial support. When the parents split up, the goal is for the child to continue to have the same standard of living. The state therefore pools the gross income of the parents together when determining the amount of monthly child support the non-custodial parent must pay to the custodial parent. Although Georgia uses a formula to determine child support, exceptions are sometimes possible. An experienced family law attorney like Daniele Johnson & Associates can ensure that your children have their needs met whether you get or pay child support.
Other Family Law Practice Areas
Daniele Johnson & Associates also assists clients with these family law matters:
- Paternity establishment and legitimation: When two unmarried people share a child, it is necessary to establish biological paternity and as well as complete a process called legitimation that gives the father the same rights and responsibilities to the child as the mother.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements: These are legally binding written documents that determine asset division and other important decisions before or after a marriage begins.
- Grandparents’ rights: Grandparents who have been blocked from visiting their grandchildren can seek legal guidance in obtaining visitation rights.
- Guardian ad litem: In extremely contentious divorce cases, it may be appropriate to appointment a guardian ad litem to ensure that the child’s well-being and wishes receive the consideration they deserve.
Are you struggling with a difficult family law matter? Contact Daniele Johnson & Associates today at 770-984-5311 to request a free consultation.